The Finley House

Now Open!

Masks are required inside the Finley House for all visitors until further notice.

finley-logoThe Finley House became the headquarters of the Radnor Historical Society in 1948 when its owner, Miss Dorothy Finley, made the basement kitchen available to the newly formed organization. The kitchen, built in 1789, was the core of what was then the farmhouse of Captain John Pugh, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. The rest of the house, which represents alterations and additions made about 1840 and again in 1888 was given to the Society by Miss Finley in 1964, shortly before her death. The Theodore Boreham Brooks Memorial Wagon House, built 1964 by Mr. Brooks, of Wayne, houses a fine collection of wagons, sleighs, carriages, and other large objects. The principal item in the Wagon House is an original Conestoga Wagon, formerly owned by Mr. Thornton Oakley, and given to the Society by his will in 1953. There is also a Pittsburgh Wagon, given by Mr. Oakley; both are equipped with all the items necessary for the maintenance of the wagons, such as the jacks and wagon bells, displayed on the front wall of the Wagon House. Also on display is a Germantown Carriage, a milk sleigh, a child’s wagon, a second sleigh, and a large hay wagon from Waynesborough. The original (1901) carriage house is still in existence, but is no longer part of the property. In the garden are a number of fine old trees, two large millstones, and a bridge cornerstone of 1855, all from Radnor sites.

Visit Us

We are located at 113 West Beechtree Lane in Wayne, PA, at the corner of North Bellevue Avenue. The house is open Tuesdays and Saturdays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.