This was the personal scrapbook of prolific local architect David Knickerbacker Boyd, donated to the Radnor Historical Society in 1958 by his widow, Elizabeth H. Mifflin Boyd. The scrapbook contains clippings from magazines and newspapers, biographical information, and sketches by Boyd, whose projects in the Philadelphia area (particularly the Main Line) were numerous. Boyd’s specialties included schools, churches, log cabins, and residences large and small, from the sprawling Walmarthon estate (now the campus of Eastern University) to tiny Arts and Crafts-style cottages. A significant portion of his work, both as a sole practitioner and with his firm Boyd, Abel & Gugert, is documented in the contents of this scrapbook. Examples of Boyd’s graphic compositions in this scrapbook include covers for publications of the T-Square Club and early publications promoting the Philadelphia Orchestra, of which Boyd’s stepfather Charles Augustus Davis was first business manager.
Please note that the contents of the album include pamphlets and double-sided documents. If content relating to Boyd’s projects was found on multiple sides of a document, all sides were included in the scans below. Some pages contain newspaper clippings that may be difficult to read; higher resolution scans are available upon request.
To browse this album, click on a thumbnail below and use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate.
Object ID# AL8
Object Name Album