Object ID# 1995.0371
Object Name Photograph
Wayne School #4 Children and teacher posing in front of the school for their class picture.
Handwritten on the back: "Wayne School # 4 ('School in the Woods') / Erected 1868 on land sold to the school District by / Emily Worthington Siter (widow of William Siter) - on a / location about 100 feet south of West Wayne Avenue / on what is now the right of way of the Philadelphia - / Western Railway -- Torn down 1895 when this / electric railway company purchased site. The lower / classes of this school spent 1895-96 in the present / Masonic Hall -- then moved into the new school / building. This 'School in the Woods' had earlier taken / over the pupils of the 'Old Baptist Church' School, / a bit to the east, erected 1841 & still standing (1957) with an incorrect date stone placing it in the 1760s -- Above information from Mrs. Siter's / granddaughter Mrs. Wellcome (nee Siter) / to F.J. Dallett."