The Wayne Natatorium, which was located along Willow Avenue in Wayne from 1895 to 1903, was one of the largest fresh-water swimming pools in the United States. It was fed by the waters of Gulf Creek, and was a one of Wayne’s most recognizable landmarks in the heyday of the town’s early development. Today, houses stand where swimmers once used the pool, but the original Natatorium clubhouse still stands at the corner where Willow Avenue curves south towards Plant Avenue.
Thanks to the efforts of Carla Zambelli, and the archival resources of the Radnor Historical Society, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission has awarded an historical sign to the corner of North Wayne where the Natatorium once operated. These signs are a common sight throughout Pennsylvania; they are cast iron, painted dark blue, with yellow embossed letters.
Read more about the PHMC Natatorium marker in this Main Line Suburban Life article.
Being awarded by the PHMC with one of these signs is a great honor, but it is not free. The Historical Society is accepting donations to make these signs possible. Any donations can be sent to the following address; please make sure they are earmarked for the Natatorium Marker fund.
Radnor Historical Society
Wayne Natatorium Marker Fund
113 West Beech Tree Lane, Wayne, PA, 19087
Here is a video of Carla Zambelli’s presentation about the Natatorium marker at the October 26 Radnor Board of Commissioners Meeting.