Morris Abner Barr history of his bottling plant and gem finds

The syndicated newspaper article in regard to Morris A. Barr’s “Acres of Diamonds”, near Valley Forge, on which recent stories in this column have been based, was not the first newspaper notice this unique spot had enjoyed. In the most recent letter your columnist has received from Mr. Barr, now a resident of Royersford, he encloses a copy of an item from the now defunct “Public Ledger”, the headlines of which read, “Foch to Get Star Sapphire Found Near Valley Forge.”

An account of a similar stone sent Marshal Joffre, hero of the Marne, appeared in this column on April 17. Like the gift to Joffre, this “Twinkling star sapphire presented to Marshal Foch, was light blue in color, with four lights, or stars, which make it sparkle continuously.” Although not weighed at the time of the “Ledger” article, it was, up to that date, the largest of a number of such gems found in the bed of a stream which flowed through Mr. Barr’s grounds.

A copy of a clipping from “The Black and White”, the publication of the Kelley School of Philadelphia, gives a brief account of Mr. Barr’s business activities before he purchased the property near Valley Forge, as well as an interesting story of how he happened to discover the springs on this land.

He was by trade a basket-maker, later becoming a builder whose work appears in many of the Main Line homes of that period. His invention, in 1917, of the quick change machine, which was successfully used in the Ardmore National Bank, won for him a “Certificate of Merit” from the National Institution of Inventors.

After his purchase of the acreage near Valley Forge, Mr. Barr’s discovery of the mineral waters on it came about when he found that the tiny tracks of field mice across the snow led to small holes in the ground. When he dug down through the snow he “found water flowing freely from ten little springs.” Later on he had this water piped to the basement of his home, and when Mr. Barr had established a market for his spring water, he located his sterilizing and bottling room adjacent to these basement outlets.

Still another spring was found when the house was being built. This Mr. Barr protected by an eight-inch layer of fireproof clay, while underneath was a natural filter bed of sand and gravel 12 inches thick. This filter overlaps a vertical vein of Potsdam rock through which the water rises from unknown depths at the rate of 500 gallons every 24 hours.” The school paper continues in its account by saying, “chemists, geologists, government inspectors from all over the world have inspected his place and have given Mr. Barr much encouragement. He has, up to the present time, found five different kinds of water, namely plain spring water, iron water, sulphur water, lime water and alkaline water.”

According to Mr. Barr the physical development of his plant finally reached a total cost of about $95,000. At one time he had some seven delivery trucks on the road with personnel averaging 15 men, including distributors.

The strain of this business, along with that of the daily rush of visitors anxious to see his collection of precious stones and minerals finally proved too much for his health. Upon the advice of his doctor, Mr. Barr sold out to Frank Caughey.

Old time residents in the Wayne area recall Mr. Barr personally, as they were regular patrons on his route in the early days of the discovery of the medicinal quality of the water.

The finding of the precious stones and metals by Mr. Barr was quite as accidental as that of the discovery of his many springs. While walking along the little stream which was later to yield so many interesting finds, Mr. Barr picked up some rocks, the “glittering sparks” in which were later pronounced to be gold.

Other discoveries were made when Mr. Barr was putting a pipe line from the springs of mineral water to the basement of his house. This initial find was said to be worth more than $1500, with moonstones, topazes, lapis lazuli, sapphires, jasper, sardonyx and opals among the precious stones in the find. While digging again, Mr. Barr picked up a piece of tourmaline “the size of a fist”, with a value of several hundred dollars placed on it.

It was at this point that Colonel Henry C. Deming, at that time consulting mineralogist, geologist and chemist of the State of Pennsylvania, was called into the picture, as told in our first story. Later Mr. Barr himself, made an extensive study of gems and minerals in order to evaluate his daily findings.

The first published report of his discoveries brought visitors from far and near. Local schools and colleges sent entire classes by bus, the students often remaining to picnic beside the famous little stream where so many interesting and valuable finds had been made.

The Deans of Ursinus and Villanova Colleges were among Mr. Barr’s visitors. Other well-known men from more distant points included Professor Wilkinson from Glasgow University and C.E. Lubenberg, director of diamond mines in Ermelo, South Africa. Dr. Russell Conwell said, in his last radio broadcast, “I wrote the book ’Acres of Diamonds’ and gave the lecture over 5,000 times. It was fiction. I have now found the man who has the true ‘Eleven Acres of Diamonds’, Morris Abner Barr of Valley Forge.’ ”

With a further account of these and other widely known visitors to the famous eleven acres near Valley Forge, this series will close in next week’s column.

(To be concluded)

Location of “Eleven Acres of Diamonds,” Morris A. Barr’s Jugtown bottling works aka Valley Forge Mineral Bottling Works

In the April 17 issue of “The Suburban”, your columnist told of a story entitled “Eleven Acres of Diamonds.” In looking through the issue of the paper for December 1922, she had run across this fascinating tale of “an 11-acre farm just half a mile beyond Valley Forge”, whose owner had found rocks with “glittering sparks” which a Main Line jeweler had pronounced to be gold and other pieces of mineral which were found to be precious stones.

The owner of this property was Morris A. Barr, described as “a modest and unassuming carpenter”, who at that time lived in “a little frame cottage at the end of the property.” And also, although the original article contained many more details of Mr. Barr’s valuable finds, the farm was not once given a more definite location than that of the original description of “half a mile beyond Valley Forge.” And so your columnist appealed to her readers for any additional information they might have.

Promptly after “The Suburban” had come off the press that week telephone calls began. The first was from Herman P. Lengel, a builder residing on Conestoga road and an old time Wayne-ite. Mr. Lengel remembered Mr. Barr well and knew the exact location of the property he had owned. It was to the west of Valley Forge Park, along a road that branched off to the left from the Phoenixville road, not far from where the Valley Forge Postoffice is located.

According to Mr. Lengel’s recollection It was called “Jugtown”, probably because of the bottling works which Mr. Barr conducted there.

When the telephone rang next, the call was from Mrs. Helen Lienhardt, another old time resident of Wayne, who also remembered Mr. Barr and verified the location of his 11 acre farm as given by Mr. Lengel. She offered to take your columnist out to “Jugtown”, to see what changes had taken place there in the past 30 years.

And then came other calls, among them one from Mrs. Elliston J. Morris of Midland avenue, who recalled a trip to the Barr farm, on which she had taken her Girl Scouts of Wayne Troop 131 some 20 years ago to earn their “rock finder” merit badges. Mrs. Morris, then Miss Myra Paxton, recalled the many “lovely colored stones” that the girls found in the field back of the house, which were colored quartz.

Another call was from Mrs Jean Supplee, of Valley Forge, who gave the interesting information that metal, such as had been found on the Barr place, lay also in much of the surrounding country, even as far as Devault. The quantity in which it had been found however, was not of sufficient extent to make the mining of it profitable.

Still another telephone caller was Dr. E. Lee Porter, of Walnut avenue, now a member of the Troop Committee of Paoli Scout Troop 1, and a one-time scout in that same troop. Dr. Porter recalls vividly the times he wandered over the Barr property when he was a youngster. Several people, including A.M. Ehart, editor of “The Suburban”, remembered buying bottled water from Mr. Barr.

But even before that last of these and other telephone calls had been received, your columnist had had an opportunity to visit Valley Forge Mineral Bottling Works for herself. For on the day on which the story of Mr. Barr’s “Eleven Acres of Diamonds” appeared in this column. Miss Lienhardt and the writer had a pleasant drive and a profitable visit to this spot. It is now owned by Frank Coughrey, who leased the property from Mr. Barr in 1935, and several years later bought it for himself. Mr. Coughrey had worked for Mr. Barr for some years before the latter moved to Royersford, where he still lives.

The business is now a large and prosperous one, with its main office in Norristown, although the bottling of the mineral water is still done on the original premises, Mr. Coughrey keeps six trucks continuously on the road, making deliveries of this now famous water. When he first came to the bottling works, Mr. Coughrey states, there were both iron and sulphur water available there, although there is only alkaline now left.

As to the valuable ores and precious stones which Mr. Barr once found in such profusion, there are none around now. The beautiful little stream, along which many of these stones were picked up by the former owner, still makes its way through the property, its water remarkable clear and sparkling. To what has previously been written in the column. Mr. Coughrey adds the interesting piece of information that a great piece of metal was once dug up on the farm. Some think this may have been a meteor.

The main building on the property contains a large assembly room with an immense fireplace in the center of the outside wall. It is flanked by cabinets in which there are still on display some of the specimens dug up by Mr. Barr. The room also contained, at one time, many Indian relics, which had been found in a large sand hole on the property. During past years the room has been used as headquarters for a nearby Scout Troop. During the height of interest in the specimens, Mr. Barr called this “Valley Forge Museum.”

So much for what your columnist had learned up to Wednesday of last week, in regard to the story she had published almost a month before. Then came a letter of many typewritten pages, postmarked Rogersport, from Mr. Barr himself.

Robert Perry, an old time employee in the Wayne Postoffice, had thoughtfully sent him a copy of “The Suburban” of April 17.

Most of the interesting contents of that letter will have to be reserved for a subsequent column. Suffice it for now to explain the origin of the story which first appeared in “The Suburban” more than 30 years ago – an origin which has puzzled even the editor, whose memory covers many a year.

It seems that Frank Haviland, a reporter living In Phoenixville at the time, wrote the “Eleven Acres of Diamonds” story for a syndicate of newspapers published from coast to coast. These newspapers, numbering some 250, were among the largest in the country. Mr. Haviland also took several pictures in connection with his story and these were used by United Features Syndicate of New York.

“That was possibly where your Wayne paper got the story as so many other local papers did”, writes Mr. Barr who adds, “However, I knew nothing at the time of what I would have to face later because of that wide circulation. For it brought more than 20,000 people to my house and plant by the side of the road, among them representatives from 29 foreign nations.”

(To be continued)

League of Women Voters 1953: United Nations

The facts embodied in the enthusiastic report of Mrs. Boudinot Stimson, retiring president of the League of Women Voters of Radnor Township, are indeed proof of the success of the 1952-53 season for the league.

Referring back to the minutes of the first annual meeting, held more than 30 years before. Mrs. Stimson quoted their aims “to face the new task… to make their vote worthwhile.” This meeting had been held a little more than a year after the signing of the Suffrage Proclamation, making valid the 19th Amendment. In Mrs. Stimson’s opinion, the greatest difference between the past and the present of the local league is that formerly the group “concentrated more on the women in the community – while at present we work to ‘promote political responsibility through informed and active participation of all citizens in government’”.

With the enrollment of 45 new members the total had reached 255 at the time of this annual meeting in April. The cross section membership – representing as it does all social, education, economic, political and religious groups – is the best assurance that positions taken by the league on governmental issues are in the interest of the community as a whole, and not in the interest of any one set of people.

Meetings held during the past year are descriptive of league interests. In September Miss Elinor Wolf came from the state board as a speaker on international relations, while the voters’ service meeting consisted of a skit done by members of the local league. Samuel Evans, Jr., was interviewed by two members of the Radnor Township League in connection with the public health program. David Eastburn, of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, was the speaker at the luncheon meeting at the Wayne Hotel, taking as his topic, “Budgetary Procedures of the Congress”. At the membership orientation meeting each chairman gave a short resume of her work. The program at the meeting on local government consisted of a skit by the local government committee.

The Radnor League and the Haverford League together conducted a panel discussion on the Revisions of the Constitution. At two evening meetings which took place at the Saturday Club the league was one of a number of sponsoring groups. And then there were two area meetings to choose the “State Item” for 1953-55.

In addition to regular meetings there were various other activities of the Radnor Township League. Among these were three study groups in three different areas of the township, Rosemont, St. Davids and Wayne. These groups took up “Tariffs and Technical Assistance to Underdeveloped Counties”, and in this connection there was a display on international trade at the [events].

During United Nations Week the league arranged for a U.N. movie, “This Is the Challenge” at the Anthony Wayne Theatre. In addition, the group had a display in the window of Wack’s Pharmacy, showing a map of the world, with strings attached to packages of drugs to indicate the countries from which they came and showing America’s interdependence on other nations for its medicine.

Among other interesting highlights of accomplishment for the year was the presentation of a handsome U.N. flag to the Wayne Grammar School, with a young Egyptian exchange student as the speaker. And in December, 36 members of the league went on a bus trip to the U.N. building in New York. On this occasion the Indian delegation gave its proposals for the peace treaty at Panmunjon in the General Assembly “with Vishinsky making his usual anti-everything speech”, to quote the league notes.

So impressed with the “spiritual qualities” of the U.N. was one of the women in the local league that she contacted the women in the Wayne Council of Churches. As a result these women, 105 strong, held a luncheon meeting for the purpose of gaining more information on the subject. “This is what we hope the league “will do in the community”, writes Mrs. Stimson, “that is, getting other organizations and citizens to take over our interests.”

In connection with the study groups on “budgetary procedures of the Congress”, the league reports much cooperation on the part of Congressman Benjamin F. James, who serves on the House Appropriations Committee.

The chairman of the voters service committee reported much activity, including the distribution of 4000 General Election Candidates’ Bulletins. Her group also provided transportation to the polls on Election Day, in addition to having a window display showing location of polling places.

Among the matters of state interest that of school financing and the equalization of assessments had been the center of much interest. However, the education chairman of the local league, who has also served in the same capacity for the state league, has not found it an easy matter to arouse public opinion and to gain the cooperation of public officials. At a meeting of the county council to be held in Haverford, on May 27, this will be the main topic under discussion, with the Radnor League presenting the subject of “State Financing of Education” on the panel.

The work of the league’s public health committee falls into three main divisions: efforts to improve public health in Radnor township, education of league members, and the establishment of a public health unit in Delaware County. The committee interviews members of the board of health on such matters as quarantine laws and attention to health of food handlers. Also the matter of water pollution, especially in connection with Gulf Creek, has come up for much discussion.

The local government committee has had a season of much activity, for in addition to their own meetings, they have attended nine meetings of the Radnor Township Commissioners since January 1952.

The matter of township financing was strictly a study item, but that of working for a planning commission for the township has been less of a routine matter. Much of the ground work for the community meeting on planning held at the grammar school on April 21, was laid by the league. The capacity audience on this occasion testified to the interest of township citizens in this matter. In her report Mrs. Stimson writes, “this is what we have been hoping for… that one of our projects has stimulated citizen thinking and promoted citizen responsibility in our community.”

The legislation committee has also done its share this year by its study of apportionment and of revision of the Constitution. A display in Wack’s window of beautiful old parasols and other outdated items contrasted past with present needs, and on February 21, apportionment day in Wayne, 1000 fliers were distributed via a 1923 Model T Ford by league members dressed in old fashioned hats and dusters.

In this brief resume we have been able to touch on only the highlights of the 1952-53 season of the Radnor Township League of Women Voters. As Mrs. Stimson goes out of office she is succeeded by an equally efficient president, Mrs. Thomas C. Cochran, and the league will continue on its way, untiring and undaunted. (Conclusion)

League of Women Voters 1920-1921: School Board meeting on new school site

The minutes of the League of Women Voters of Radnor Township, under date of July 12, 1921, record that the organizatlon then had a membership of 492.

This was less than a year after 10 women, meeting at the home of Mrs. J.S.C. Harvey, In Radnor, on August 23, 1920, had changed their former name of Radnor Township League of Women Citizens to the League of Women Voters of Radnor Township.

At this same July meeting, Mrs. Humbert B. Powell, reporting for the school committee, told of a meeting attended by members of the school board and a group of citizens, at which there had been opposition to all three of the sites proposed for the new high school building. The interest of her committee had been unflagging in this much discussed question. It was, perhaps, partly because of this, that Mrs. Powell had been approached by the Republican Township Committee to fill the vacancy then existing on the school board. To this she had consented.

An animated discussion ensued at this meeting concerning a policy in regard to endorsing local candidates. There had been so many different viewpoints on the matter in state policy that eventually, a special meeting was called by the Radnor group to settle the question locally. By a rather close vote, the motion finally passed, that the “Radnor Township League for the present does not go on record as endorsing any candidate.” However, when the new by-laws came up for adoption the following September, this particular section was omitted “since the state conventlon was expected to formulate their policy very soon.”

When Mrs. Powell’s name came up for election to the school board the league did endorse her. She was a successful candidate and maintained her place on the board untll 1928, when she moved to Devon and resigned.

Mrs. T. Magill Patterson (your columnist) was chosen by the board to fill out Mrs. Powell’s term of office. And when her name came up for the six-year term of office in 1929 the league endorsed her as a candidate. Their assistance helped to win the election for the only woman on the slate.

At the annual meeting of the league on November 23, 1921, Mrs. Y.P. Dawkins was elected to succeed Mrs. Harvey as chairman. One of the early events of her regime was an evening meeting held in the early spring of 1922, under the joint auspices of the Saturday Club, the Men’s Club and the League of Women Voters, for the purpose of meeting candidates running for office at the state and county elections.

The history of the league, as given in this column up to this point, has been based on the very detailed entries in the first Minute Book. However, the information given from this point on is based on a brief resume of the subsequent minutes as made by Mrs. Paul W. Bruton for the annual meeting held on April 15 of this year.

Chairmen who succeeded Mrs. Harvey,in addition to Mrs. Dawkins, were Mrs. Marshall Smith, Mrs. P.B. Weaver, Mrs. H.K. Hill, Mrs. Weaver (second term), Mrs. Oswald Chew, Mrs. J. Prentice Murphy, Mrs. E. Shippen Willing, Mrs. George S. Worth, Mrs. J. S. Curtis Harvey, Jr., Mrs. J. Barclay Jones, Mrs. John Meigs (now Mrs. Clarence Tolan, Jr.) Mrs. Thomas B. Harvey, Mrs. Henry Ecroyd, Mrs. Joseph Aronson, and Mrs. Boudinot Stimson.

From 1920 until 1928, women who headed the league were called “chairmen”, while from 1928 until the present they have been called presidents. It is interesting to note that among Mrs. J.S.C. Harvey’s successors have been her daughter, Mrs. l. Barclay Jones, and her two duaghters-in-law Mrs. J. S. Curtis Harvey, Jr., and Mrs. Thomas Harvey.

Beginning in the latter part of 1923 and continuing into 1924, there seems to have been a great lessening of interest in the work of the local league and a large loss in membership of today’s league. Mrs. Bruton has noted in her resume that by February, 1924, there were only about six members who were really active.

In an effort to revive former enthusiasm, the league held a large luncheon, at which Mrs. Gifford Pinchot was guest of honor. The attendance reached the 500 mark. But this one event did not lead to permanent enlargement of membersblp or replenishment of the treasury. There were no regular meetings from February, 1925, to November, 1927, and indeed no annual meetings, either in 1925 or in 1926.

However, there must have been interest in the work of the Delaware County League since in May, 1924, the Radnor township group contributed about $500 towards the building of a clubhouse in Media which is the joint property of the County League and the Media Woman’s Club. The 1926 program in Wayne included a course of six lectures on Pennsylvania State institutions, which had a fair average attendance.

Programs for this general period, as suggested by the national league, included study of such matters as immigration, bills, naturalization, the multilateral treaty, cause and effect of war, the marriage code, child labor laws and the city manager plan. In 1941, the group became interested in the work of the board of health; In 1942 there was a study group on living costs and in 1943 they helped to inaugurate the Radnor Schools Day Camp, an outstandlng project which has been successful each summer.

Before going into a report on the present highly effective League of Women Voters of Radnor Township, as we shall do in the concluding number of this series, it may be interesting to share with our readers a letter received recently from Mrs. Charles C. Suffren, of Strafford, one of the veteran workers in the women’s suffrage work, and an intlmate friend of Mrs. Corrie Chapman Catt. Mrs. Suffren writes: “I was very close to Mrs. Catt and loved her very dearly – helping her to build up the Woman Suffrage Party of New York City. I was vice-chairman of it for seven years.” Mrs. Suffren considers the work of the league futile in many respects… “All they do is study”, she writes. “They study everything and get out the vote! I think they should follow Mrs. Catt’s instructions, as given in her last speech to the League of Women Voters… she evidently meant them to force their way into the caucuses, both Republican and Democratic – to insist upon some women candidates. The ‘Motherhood of the Wide World’ can never be done by men! The League of Women Voters prides itself on being non-partisan; they would never be so considered if they worked to put into office both Republican and Democratic women. Women in government offices were never more needed than now – with our problema of juvenlle delinqueney and narcotics.

(To be Concluded)

League of Women Voters: members, 1921 National Convention

The minutes of the early meeting of the League of Voters of Radnor Township show the eagerness of spirit with which its members set about the new tasks which the 19th Amendment had created for them.

In addition to the women named in last week’s column, many others soon joined the ranks, all of them representatives of other interests and organizations in the township. Among them were Mrs. M.S. Ketchum, Mrs. Warren Turner, Mrs. Humbert B. Powell, Mrs. Henry Roever, Miss Mary Bright, Mrs. W.H. Turner, Mrs. Henry Smaltz, Mrs. Walter Yeatts and Mrs. Y.P. Dawkins.

Still others were Miss Grace Roberts, Mrs. W.H. Roberts, Mrs. Frank Shoemaker, Mrs. Esther D. Tatnall (now Mrs. Esther Robinson), Mrs. Ross W. Fishburn, Mrs. Alan Calvert, Mrs. Frederick P. Ristine, Mrs. Walter Whetstone and Mrs. Frank Browne. And this is to mention only those who became members during the first weeks of the local League’s existence.

Although the National Suffrage Proclamation was not signed until August 26, 1920, the enrollment of women voters in the five precincts of Radnor township was completed by September 1. This was accomplished by members of the League, working in conjunction with the township assessors. In all, 1,348 women of legal voting age were listed in the township.

On September 21 an open meeting for citizenship training was held in the High School Gymnasium, at which Mrs. John O. Miller, chairman of the Pennsylvania State League of Women Voters, and Benjamin Ludlow, a prominent Philadelphia lawyer, were the speakers. Also, much enthusiasm was shown by those present, at a meeting held at the home of Mrs. Powell, on Windermere avenue, when Mrs. Lewis Lawrence Smith, State vice-chairman, talked on the necessity for women to fully meet their new responsibilities.

On November 2, many members of the local league helped as watchers at the polls in the five precincts. In all, some 800 women voters exercised their rights on this occasion “showing a general intelligence beyond all expectation”, to quote from the early minutes book of the Radnor League. Apparently, the League did not expect too much of the women of the township at the first election in which they were allowed to participate.

Various committees of the Radnor Township League were already busily at work. A report of the meeting at the executive board held on February 16, 1921, shows that Mrs. Warren Turner, representlng Child Welfare, spoke of a possible canvass of the township to enroll all children of pre-school age, so as to have physical examinations made and defects corrected. Another member suggested “the offering of prizes for normal children.”

Interest in the schools of the township was evidently keen, as shown by Mrs. Powell’s report that all five of the members of her committee had attended the last meeting of the school board. At this time “they helped start the fight for new school buildings, encouraging the board in their stand to overcome overcrowding and unsanitary conditions. Present high and grammar school have been twice condemned by State authorities. An open meeting of the League of Women Voters will be held on March 16 on school questions, when President Schock of the School Board and Superintendent Rowland will speak plainly of the needs of the school”, it was reported.

Mrs. Smaltz, reporting for township government, told of her committee of eight women, whom the township commission “will welcome at meetings.” She had obtained “helpful literature” for committee members, realizing that “all women need much education.” Justice of the Peace Hunter would also be glad to have the committee attend magistrates’ meetings if the “irregular times for such hearings did not make it difficult to notify the committee.”

Miss Bright, speaking for her committee on the legal status for women, stated that their purpose would be to obtain information, in order to support state movements. Her committee “would advise all married women to see that husbands made wills.”

At the March meeting Mrs. Dawkins presented “a single plan” for her committee on social hygiene, in which they would start by “finding out what has been done and cooperating with existing movements, including the Board of Health, Neighborhood League, etc.” She would also “advocate developing playgrounds and a community center for wholesome amusements; a high standard for motion pictures; good street lighting; helpful big sisterly contacts with boys and girls… and above all, to try to inspire and help mothers as the best teachers and friends for their children.” The executive board thought so highly of this all inclusive outline of work that they authorized Mrs. Dawkins to go ahead with carrying it out, if “the county chairman approves of her outline.”

By the time of this March meeting Mrs. Smaltz’s committee had had an opportunity to attend the February meeting of the township commissioners, where they learned “much of interest regarding compromise settlement with Springfield Water Company, increased tax rates, and re-arrangement of street lighting.” The committee also reported on a conference with the board of health and of informal discussion in regard to a building code.

These brief excerpts, from the first minute book of the League of Women Voters of Radnor Township, show the keen interest its members immediately took in matters of township government and of township schools as soon as their organization was completed and their committees formed. In general they were following the outline of work as presented by the national league, which emphasized the study of “efficientcy in government, of education, of child welfare, or economic welfare, of the legal status of women and of international cooperation.”

For reporting on the great success of the 1921 National Convention, held in Cleveland, Mrs. Hartshorne, chairman of The Delaware County League of Women Voters, told the local leagues of an attendance of almost 600 delegates, of whom 66 were from Pennsylvania, the largest representation from any one state. Pennsylvania also led in the number of organized counties, 44 out of 67 in all.

By this time, membership ln the local League of Women Voters had passed the 100 mark, which entitled the group to nn extra delegate to the county executive meetings. By the May meeting this had been increased three-fold as a result of a two-week campaign put on by Mrs. Marian R. Troth, chairman of the membership committee. And with increased membership, came even more activity on the part of the newly formed League of Women Voters.

(to be continued)